Monday, February 26, 2018

Late February 2018 Musings

I don’t tend to adjust my training plans. It feels most natural to me to choose a plan and follow it as closely as possible. It’s what I tend to do in training - and in life.  Follow the plan to the end to see if it works. 
Lately I've made quite a few adjustments to "my plan."  Typical changes:
- Miss a workout
- Cut a workout
- Change a workout.

The adjustment came about for a variety of reasons:
- Desire/want
- Time available
- Need
- Fatigue
- Travel
So lots of reasons that were/are needed for the changes. 
Now several weeks/months into the work, I see both positive and negative impact of the changes.  More positive than negative because I'm more aware of my needs and my limits than I have been previously.  The changes made helped me understand my needs and determine my limits.  So both were/are really important.  In particular, I'm lately most aware of my limits.  At this point, I know I am not functional if I have a training load too high.  My body and mind just don't work at that level of stress.  And we know training at too high of a level isn't healthy....it risks injury and the long-term damage.
So here's a few pieces of learning I'm sharing now:
- Love your plans but be OK with monitoring and adjusting
- Don't do things that risk injury
- Live in the moment.
Nutrition update:
Now experimenting with pure maple syrup as fuel for long workouts. Zach are you listening?

No comments: