Saturday, March 23, 2019

So What’s Up? Injuries Galore!

So it has been a winding journey leading up to Boston 2019. Like 2015, the road has been littered with the type of potholes called injuries. Let me recount them for you: 
1. December 2018: The now infamous broken collarbone and resulting in surgery and a super cool stainless steel plate being implanted in my left shoulder area (i.e. screwed in with a DeWalt 18 volt). 
2. February 2019: Pulled hamstring. Sometime that month, I visited the surgeon for a follow up visit and heard "yeah, go ahead and run."  So I did...like right out the gate I ran hard.  Bad idea. Left hamstring yelled back at me and caused me to slow down for about a week. 
3. March 2019: Plantar fasciitis (or maybe even a small plantar tear).  This is the one that that put me over the edge.  Did a ten miler at marathon pace on a Saturday. Then the Sunday run was supposed to be 20 at about 9:15 pace. I was having some foot pain but decided to push it...it is the Boston Marathon. I always go for it. I started out the Sunday run and felt the tension and pain every step on the left foot but figured things would loosen up - like they always do. Well, it didn't loosen up. I finished the run putting in about 2 hours 50 minutes and went home and got on the couch. My foot was sore but I thought it would be fine. Long story short...I knew I had a problem 5 days later when my foot still hurt. Now two weeks later, I haven't run again. 

But...will I run (or somehow finish) at Boston?  

Are you kidding me?  Hell yes. It is Boston. 

Here's the plan right now: 
- I've been keeping all training intensities where they should be....but on the bike. It is the best I can do. Some visuals of those workouts are attached.  
- The foot is improving. I'm doing PT exercises everyday frequently. Yesterday and today my foot feels a little like it could survive a little running. But I'm not going to push it.  I will wait a few more days and decide then what might make sense in terms of the next run. I might not run until Hopkinton. I might even walk Boston if it means being healthy for tri season. 

I'm proud of myself for slowing down for this injury. In the past few years - Boston 2015 is an example - I would have just pushed through and likely made the injury worse.

Stay tuned. I will let you know how things go between now and Patriots Day 2019. Peace.  

No comments: