Wednesday, April 25, 2018

50 Years Old

I'm about to turn 50. 

Feels like a good time to think about life and reflect, so here goes….

So what's it like to turn 50 you ask? 
• It feels normal and a little exciting. 
• It feels happy. As usual I'm looking forward. 
• 50 surrounds me with love and care. Thank you Steph and Ryan.  Love you both. I have really wonderful and caring parents. I've got lots of great family, friends and colleagues that fill my daily life. I'm lucky.  
• 50 is interesting and fulfilling at a personal level. Ironman Lake Placid with Ryan this summer will likely be one of the highlights of being a father for me, and I'm certainly looking forward to running the Boston Marathon again in the upcoming year.
• At 50 you buy expensive running shoes, fast chains, latex tubes, low CRR tires, and super aero cycling shoes. 

What is it like to be 50 compared to 40? Here are my thoughts: 
• I'm happier at 50 than at 40. Lots of reasons for this, but it definitely feels the truth. This all by itself makes me happy!
• I'm healthier at 50 than 40. This is mostly due to the triathlon mid-life crisis which includes healthier eating habits beyond the sometimes obsessive workout schedule.  However, I also want to note that there have been no serious health related issues in my 40s….no getting hit by a car while riding my bike, no cancer relapses.  Saying "no cancer relapses" feels like such a relief.
• I'm more balanced...or at least that's the story I'm sticking to :-)
• 50 is definitely more grey than 40, but I'm happy to report that SJCK says it's all good.
• We experimented with the empty nest in my 40s, but I think the real empty nest time period is about to start…this one is hard to believe.  For the time being, Ryan (and Hannah) will be close by which is a very nice thing.

Where is all of this leading?
• Who knows….but I certainly find myself thinking about what life will be like in the next ten years.  
• Here's what I'm thinking about to begin: 

No comments: