Monday, April 9, 2018

Buying Speed Post #1

Thanks to the guys at the Get Faster podcast and RCK, I'm looking for ways to buy watts. Lots of ideas in the hopper. I always have lots of ideas to share. 
 One idea I'm working on: creating the most aerodynamic triathlon shoe possible. I got this idea from Thomas Gerlach (through RCK). Check out Thomas' post about this here: http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2016/05/fastest-ironman-bike-shoes-aerodynamics.html?m=1

Essentially the idea is to take a super comfortable, smooth leather (i.e. aero) road shoe and modify it to a super comfortable, smooth leather tri shoe. 

A few steps are needed to accomplish this. First step: modify new white Giro shoes by removing part of the tongue and having the remainder of the tongue sewn into the shoe. My white shoes - with the tongue still in it- show here as does a similar black shoe showing what I am hoping to end up with. 

In addition to Thomas Gerlach's blog, I got ideas from others in this Slowtwitch forum thread: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Giro_SLX_Laces_P6008013/

My modified shoes should be ready in a few days. I will show the results to show the finished product here. 

No comments: