Friday, April 20, 2018

Buying Speed Post #1 - Part 2

You might remember that I'm looking for ways to get faster, both in training but also by buying the right equipment.  I recently posted about this in regards to modifying some new Giro Empire cycling shoes by having part of the tongue removed at a local shoe repair store.  The pictures below show the modifications in three sections to explain what's been done:

1. Part of the tongue is now removed. You can see the remaining black section of the tongue just below the laces.  Note that the remaining section of tongue has also been stitched into the shoe along the sides, next to the eyelets so that it is the right width for my foot. 

2.  I added in elastic laces to the shoes. I used laces recommeneded by Thomas Gerlach.  The hope here is that I can shove my foot into the shoe, on the fly, without having to spend time tying the laces.

Of course the tied laces are not at all the aero set up I'm looking for.  I need to practice riding with them for a while to make sure I've got the right tension before they are trimmed to look more like the red shoes below.  The laces on the red shoes are tied in a granny knot and than taped over to keep the area to a minimum.
Here's another model for my laces:
I will hope to finish the laces in the next couple weeks and will post a pic of the finished project.

3. I added Speedplay aero cleats...the yellow section in the picture.  Hmmm.  Gotta say I'm not buying the aero properties of this one given this setup.  The black section just above the yellow is the standard Speedplay mounting cleat.  To me this all looks like a lot of frontal area that isn't that much different than the regular "non-aero" Speedplay setup.  I'm sure my new set up isn't any worse though either.

I'll try them out on the bike asap...but I need to get over my current flu symptoms first.

Last I want to say thanks to RCK (i.e. The Elite One) for all his help in figuring this stuff out.  He is helping me take my training and preparation to the next level....as long as I can stay healthy.  Stay tuned.

No comments: