Sunday, February 23, 2020

TOP TEN LIST: Favorite Tri and Run Toys

Here is a list of the BEST (i.e. my favorite) tri and run gear.  


8. Foam Roller - $23
This is not a super expensive item.  As a 50+ athlete (and I'm sure even fro the younger crowd), this is an essential.  I use it every day.  Use it often to roll out your hamstrings, calves, IT band, etc.



7. TYR Special Ops Goggles - $20
These are my current favorite goggles.  They aren't the newest thing out there, but they work for me and they come in a variety of colors so they look awesome.  Recommended!


6. Garmin Edge 130 Bike Computer - $200
I purchased my first stand alone bike GPS in 2018.  This is a small package that packs a wallop in features including smart notifications from your phone and, when racing, connects with your watch using a feature called "extended display" so you don't have to risk life and limb by trying to look at your watch while going 30 mph.



5. SPIbelt Race Belt - $35
I've had a few different styles of race belts from Fuel Belt, 2XU and a generic brand.  They all work pretty well, but the SPIbelt has a lot of nice features that make it worth a look even though it has a bit higher price including their no bounce feature.  


4. Chain Waxing Kit - $30 (for FREE SPEED)
As the great Ricky Bobby once said, "If you ain't first, you're last." If you are going to do your best and have your best chances to perform, you need to get waxed.  WAX FOR YOUR CHAIN!!!  Here are the directions and here's you need:


3. The Garmin Forerunner 945 GPS Triathlon Watch - $500+ 
I previously used the Forerunner 310XT and 920XT.  They both were helpful, and I loved them for my training.   I recently decided to upgrade and have been really happy with the 945 purchase.  The changes from the 920XT are noticeable in terms of features, and the 945 actually looks enough like a "regular" watch that I wear it each and every day.  Highly recommended!!!



2. Nike VaporFly 4%
These shoes are fast...meaning I race faster than I think I should when I wear them. You might think it is all in my head, but I don't think it is.  The Science in Sport Podcast about these shoes (and Nike's successive shoes) seems to indicate it is actually true.  The are current "legal" to wear.  Get pair while you can.  Limited sizes of the original Vaporfly 4% are available on the Nike website, and the new/updated Alphafly will be available soon.


1. Giro Empire ACC Cycling Shoes + Modifications - $100 - $300
These shoes are SLICK...meaning aero.  Even for the over 50 crowd, the name of the game is go faster using less watts.  If you haven't read previously about my mods to these shoes, check that our HERE.

These shoes can be pricey but I've gotten a couple pairs for under $100.  Your best bet in terms of snagging a pair to these sweet kicks might be on eBay:  CLICK HERE.  Or Amazon.

No comments: