Monday, May 28, 2018

Semi Pro Triathlete Update - May 2018

It has been a few weeks since I last posted thanks to the demands of work and training.  There are a few things to share and update!

1. I'm healthy and uninjured!  This is the best news of all.  After struggling with various injuries in 2015, 2016 and part of 2017, I'm relieved to be able to train consistently!  I'm not yet performing like in 2014, but I'm really happy and am enjoying my current stint as a part-time semi profession triathlete.  Can you just tell by the smile on my face? :-)


Over-Under Intervals
2. Training is tough, but it is going well.  Trainer Road seems to be the right mix of volume, intensity and sometimes even rest.  The over-under workouts like the one pictured to the right take the most out of me.

At this point, there are just under 2 weeks to go until Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 and just under 8 weeks to go until Ironman Lake Placid.  It is hard to tell at this point how hard I'll be able to push in Madison, but I definitely feel on track for a strong Lake Placid.


Dash Stage
3. I'm riding a new saddle that promises faster results!  My trusty Cobb Max saddle needed to be officially retired after I wore through the cover.  After thinking about whether or not to get another Cobb, RCK (The Elite One) turned me on to the Dash Stage saddle.  I tried it out on his bike and found it remarkably comfortable despite the lack of padding, so I ordered the standard width model and installed it on the most winning bike ever made (i.e. my Cervelo P3).

What I found after riding the Dash Stage for a few hundred miles:
- The saddle more easily puts me in an aero position because it made me roll my hips forward which put me in the aero position more comfortably.
- The lack of padding was both good and bad. I have a better connection with my seat and feel better in control of my position and comfort.  However, I got a small saddle sore after riding the seat the first time on a longer ride.  I've found that changing my position on the saddle is helping with that soreness, so hopefully that won't be an ongoing issue.

4. Monday, May 28 was a day of rest. So glad to have it.

For those who are coming to Lake Placid in July, thank you and looking forward to your cheering and help.  For those who read here occasionally, thanks for that!  Later...

No comments: