Sunday, June 3, 2018

Ironman Rules Primer

With Ironman Wisconsin just over a week away, I decided it would be a good idea to read the official athlete's guide to the event.  While reading it, I thought a review of the top Ironman racing rules might be interesting to some.  So here you go....

First, it is OK to crawl:
That's right, the rules state athlete's are allowed to crawl.  If you haven't seen Julie Moss' historic Ironman finish during in the 80s, check it out.

Next, no nudity....at least anymore. Nudity shenanigans used to be a thing in the transition area back in the early 90s but it isn't allowed nowadays.  That is unless there is a changing tent where volunteers will even help you get nude by assisting with clothing removal (if asked).  Not kidding but YMMV.

Don't show too much skin.  See rule 19 below.  
That's not all that fun is it?  

Try to avoid violations.
It might be interesting to you to find our there are red, yellow and blue card violations in triathlon.
The blue cards violations I'm familiar with but I need to find out more about the yellow card for blocking. I am not actually sure what that means.

Violation = Penalty Box
I've actually never been to the penalty box.  Maybe I should take my chances and try it out this weekend in Madison.


I might add to this post later on if I can think of some other good primer type information.




No comments: