Sunday, January 21, 2018

Ironman Training Week 3 Summary

Image result for week 3
Week 3 was a good week of training with ups and a couple downs.  Let me share this categorically.  

Ups:
1. Tom Brady is the G.O.A.T. - This has nothing to do with training whatsoever, but Tommy is the man.  We should all finish our races with way Tommy finishes football games. Remember this the next time you get to the last mile of a 10K, the last 10K of a marathon, or the last 13.1 of an IM.  Channel your inner Tommy!
2. Had some exciting talks with others this week about their health and fitness goals.  Eddie, we need to make a plan that gets you to Boston in the next three years.
3. Pretty good diet this week.  I like getting this back in check.
4. Had my first thoughts about personal goals for the year.  More below.

Downs
1. I am sick today.  Just a little I hope. Felt super tired on Saturday, sneezing and congested that night so took NyQuil.  Rested a lot on Sunday but still got my workouts in ;-).  We'll see what happens.  I am drinking LOTS of water and taking my vitamins.
2. Missed a workout this week….just tired and difficult to fit it all in.
3. There is a squirrel or something living in my attic.  Who knows of a company who can come help him live somewhere else?

Here are the training details of the week:
Workouts scheduled: 10
Workouts completed: 9
Swim - 4775 yards
Bike - 71.8
Run - 18 miles
Strengthening/PT: 20 mins
Time: 8 hours, 37 minutes
TSS: 556


I had a feeling this week's workouts were really tough relative to time required and intensity at this point in the training.  Then I looked back to IM Boulder training for week 3 which I should mention was based on a Fitzgerald plan as opposed to the current TrainerRoad plan.  Here's what week 3 look like in the IM Boulder training time period. 
Last week's totals:
Swim:  4400 yards
Bike:  117 miles
Run: 14.2 miles
Total time:  9 hours, 56 minutes
TSS: 515 

Isn't this fascinating?  A lot more bike mileage and A LOT more time in the IM Boulder training plan.  HOWEVER, look at the TSS!  I am definitely working hard on the TrainerRoad plan - over an hour less training but more TSS.  The numbers tell an interesting story.

Goals for the Year
More on this later, but I need to share my current (uninjured thoughts) are that just finishing IM Lake Placid is no longer the goal. Serious athletes have serious goals.  More to come on this topic…..

Finally, 

No comments: