Sunday, July 8, 2018

It's Taper Time!

Dear Ironman Training Plan, 

Thank you Ironman Training Plan (i.e. TrainerRoad.com Full Distance Triathlon - Mid Volume Plan)! You've led me to TAPER TIME before Ironman Lake Placid on July 22.  
As Matt Fitzgerald reminds us, "most Ironman triathletes should begin reducing their training two weeks before race day." Well....I've got two weeks to go, so it must be time to taper!

Looking at the upcoming workouts, I see the next two weeks are a bit less of an "ask" than in the previous weeks.  These final two weeks ask for 12 hours and 4 hours of working out, respectively, as opposed to asking for 19 and 16 hours in the two weeks previous.  That's a big difference I'm looking forward to, especially that last week with 4 hours of training. 


I feel some excitement about Taper Time:
- I'm not injured
- I'm relaxed
- I've got a new Wattie Ink two-piece race kit that I tried out this past weekend.  It is just what I need.
- I tested as larger cassette this weekend to help with the elevation around Lake Placid.
- I feel strong during my workouts (especially this past Saturday's 4 hour bike followed by 1.5 hour run.  I felt great during that.)
- I'm loving that RCK and I will compete at Lake Placid together...huge father and son moment for me!  I have to get a photo with him at the finish!
- I've got a fitness score of 112 (see diagram on right). For the second week in a row, this is my highest score ever.  #goodsign  BUT, check out the pink fatigue score of 135 (and pink line on the graph). That is a big number that will come down over the next two weeks.
- I'm upbeat about the possibilities on July 22, but I'm also feeling cautious to keep my planning and race preparation focused on having a successful day at Lake Placid.  I'd like to think my learning from Ironman Boulder 2015 and Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 2018 will come in handy two weeks from now.  We will see!

Between now and race day, I'm going to finish workouts, do some work for my real job and pack for race day. Stay tuned for some updates in the days to come!

Two weeks until Go Time!  Thanks!

Sincerely,
KK
Your Athlete


No comments: