Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Night Before We Leave Post

Is it 3 or 4 days to go now?  I might have miscounted the days on previous posts.  Oh well....no matter!  On the night before we leave for Lake Placid, I have three things:

1.  This YouTube video hits really close to home.  Three minutes of funny if you've talked to me in the last seven months about training.

2. Regarding race strategy for a guy like me, it comes down to this:  START SLOW!  There is nothing more dangerous for me than pushing too hard early on.

On the swim, this means stroke easy for the first 500 meters.  Hopefully, after that, I will find my calm place, an easy gliding stroke and not have a bunch of torsos on top of me in the water.  I will most certainly be happy to finish this swim in anything less than 1 hour, 25 minutes. Would be great to do that.....please, please :-)

On the bike, this means keep in the power zone of about 160 - 170 watts.  This is going to take some discipline but (I hope) will have a pay off on the run if I can stay focused.  It is well-known that the Lake Placid bike course has a lot of climbing...just gotta take it easy going up the hills!  No idea what to expect in time.  Anywhere from 5 hours, 30 minutes to 6 hours, 30 minutes will be just fine.

On the run, I suspect that after riding 112 miles the first couple run miles will be over 10-minute pace.  After that, if my nutrition is in the right place and I'm physically OK, I'm hoping for around 9-minute pace.  Slow and steady is the key in all three legs of the Ironman for a guy like me.

3.  And in case you are wondering, I am finished packing.  The bag is big, but you need a lot of gear for triathlon!

That's it for tonight!  Peace and thanks for reading.

No comments: